Keeping Your Home Cool When Summer Hits
Let’s face it: it’s hot. Really hot. Like, “my weather app keeps sending me extreme heat advisory notifications” hot. The good news is, thanks to modern innovation we can live peacefully alongside the heat rather than constantly swelter in it. However, if you’re really looking to up the ante and keep the outdoors out, consider these tips on making sure your indoor space stays cool as a cucumber all summer long.
- Just like sunblock helps protect your skin from the sun, awnings, UV window films, and shady trees can help protect your precious, precious indoor space. The best way to avoid summer heat is by staying out of the direct sun and giving your home a head start with some well-placed sun-blocking measures will help keep the inside cooler and lower electricity costs.
- If you haven’t done it in a while, it’s worthwhile to have a professional come out and inspect your insulation. One of the biggest ways heat can invade your home is through old, worn out, or missing insulation. Blowing more in is a quick, easy fix that can really make a difference in interior temperature.
- It seems like a no brainer, but ceiling fans make a huge difference in perceived temperature. If you don’t already have them in your bedrooms and living areas, we highly recommend doing so. Another note: in the summer, the blades should be turning counterclockwise to encourage a downflow of cool air.
- Another maintenance task that many homeowners forget to do (guilty) is to change their air filters. Dirty air filters make your air conditioner work harder for less output, which can make the entire system less efficient. We recommend doing this once a month for optimum performance.
- If all else fails, stand in front of the freezer. It’s an age-old practice that children and adults alike have enjoyed for as long as freezers have been around (truthfully, we don’t really condone this as it probably isn’t the *most* green practice, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do).
We know that Texas summers can be brutal, so if you need help implementing any of the solutions above, we’re here for you. We know insulation guys, awning guys, and even fan installation guys. Give us a call! We’ve got the connections to help you stay cool even on the hottest of days.